Saturday, December 6, 2014

Canadian Americans affected by FBARs


http://forums.serbinski.com/viewtopic.php?p=30878&sid=1c049380e54e43eccfde16839ebc8f8d

CdnAmerican



Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 142
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi millerh - sorry to hear about your mess. I'm not an expert but can share my experience .. I had to backfile a number of forms over the span of 6 years back in 2011. I did it all on my own because I was too cheap to hire an accountant. It was a real mess, but as the process went through everything worked out in the end with $0 penalty (despite having, on paper, what could have been a $70K penalty).

I guess I would think that a common sense approach would be the way to go. Also do note the IRS' stremalined backfiling approach. I don't know if that would apply to you, but the consensus I've gained from this board is
- Backfiling often takes a very long time, with lots of mistakes by taxpayers and the IRS, but common sense generally prevails
- Accountants can and do make mistakes
- Some will use scare tactics to try to comple you to spend huge amounts on professional fees
- That said, a professional will tpyically do a, well, professional job - it just may cost a lot.

That's not really advice, but just my experience and impression. Good luck & sorry you are going through this ..
_________________
Not a professional opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
millerh



Joined: 02 May 2013
Posts: 5
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One would think that common sense should apply, but a couple of things:

1. We're not resident in Canada anymore and haven't been since late 2009, so no streamlined ovdi for us
2. Been to the Isaac Brock Society's website many times over for resources and there's lots of people in this situation

My overall feelings on this matter: It's not going change anytime soon whether or not there's management change at the top at the IRS or the Treasury. The IRS is run by professional thieves. Many cross-border "professionals" will having you believing that they knew this stuff was coming all along and they're "experts". No, the reality is they didn't know this stuff either and they make it up as they go too, only they get paid for their mistakes at our expense.

No comments:

Post a Comment